Welcome, I am an accredited BACP Integrative Counsellor with 20 years' experience, incorporating: Humanistic principles, Psychodynamic and Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), I am also a qualified and accredited Interpersonal Psychotherapist (IPT) and EMDR therapist and qualified Yoga Teacher (Yoga Alliance International).
As well as my private practice, I work as a NHS Counsellor/Clinical Supervisor.
I am a member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (www.bacp.co.uk) and bound by their Ethical Code of Practice where I update my practice with regular training and supervision.
I have found that Counselling helps a person to find effective ways of managing their lives, enabling them to find appropriate tools to manage those worries and anxieties. By providing a space to reflect, it helps through identifying patterns of behaviour, finding ways for us to cope with day-to-day life and decision making.
As your Counsellor I am guided by your needs, sometimes bringing an awareness of past issues whilst remaining focused on the here and now. This is done in a supportive, encouraging and collaborative environment, as you travel this particular part of your life's journey.
My approaches are mainly integrative, incorporating humanistic and psychodynamic, recently using body work-yoga and creative elements within my practice. I am continually growing as a therapist and furthering my practice into now more of trauma and childhood trauma experiences and the somatic experiences. This has meant that I am incorporating this within my own practice and working more deeply into the impact on the holistic makeup of my clients and client work.
As part of my own life's journey, in the last couple of years, I founded and am the Director/Trainer of "Be Wonderful Women" and "One Soul Yoga" , in offering yoga, wellbeing & motivational workshops in helping to empower and boost the self-esteem and confidence of women and women's lives within Portsmouth. We hold these workshops as part of a sharing experience for women. See my Yoga & Wellbeing page for further details.
My years of experience as a Counsellor include working with a diverse range of clients in the following settings
- NHS Counsellor and Clinical Supervisor
- University Student Counsellor
- Bereavement Counsellor and Co-facilitator of Bereavement Training course within Hospice
- GP Practice Counsellor
- Rape and Sexual Abuse Counsellor
- Counsellor with MIND, the mental health charity
I continue to update my skills and am trained in the following approaches;
- Qualified Yoga Therapist/Teacher
- Eye Movement Desensitisation & Reprocessing (EMDR) -Accredited
- Interpersonal Psychotherapy (IPT) - Accredited
- Course developer and co-facilitator of Managing Anger (NHS 8 week course).
- Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) 8 week
- Compassion Focused Therapy
- Black Empathic Approach by Dr Isha McKenzie-Mavinga
- Certificate Couples & Relationship Therapy
- Certificate Clinical Supervision (BPS Approved)
- Stress Management
Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) checked and GDPR compliant.
I am registered with -
- BUPA (https://finder.bupa.co.uk/go/mrs_andrea_bailey)
- Employee Assistance Programmes (EAP's) and Insurance claims.